Sunday, February 21, 2010

23-24 weeks

A beautiful thing happened last week. Well, mostly super nice and sort of beautiful. Let me start from the beginning...
Our friends were going to move from California to within hours of us and almost made it when...a job fell through. We were a bit down about it, but feel happy to still have a free place to stay in San Francisco when next we go. The bonus about them moving nearby was that they recently had a baby boy and we were going to get some of their loot. We're still getting some, just not the big stuff. One of the things was an arm's reach co-sleeper. We decided that since they're not coming we were going to buy one. So, during lunch time at work the other day, I was looking them up online and saw that they were on sale, and said, "oh, I'm going to buy this tonight while it's on sale". The next thing I know, a credit card is placed next to the keyboard. It's my boss's. He said, "this is what my family is getting you for the babies and I don't want you to argue" in his broken chinese/tagalog accented english. I cried on the spot, because I'm a crier. What a sweetie. The environment of loving kindness at work in the past 2 months has been so refreshing.

Actually, something crazy is happening at work...we're having a twin boom, just like you read about. I've worked there for 6 years now and in that time we only had 2 sets of twins born. In the past 6 months we've had 7 sets. 7 sets not including ours. They just keep coming. It is totally insane. About 3 out of the 7 sets are a result of IVF, but 4 are naturally occurring. Most have been born at about 36 weeks. I'm in charge of 2 of the sets right now, both naturally conceived fraternal boys. Gregg is in charge of 1 of the sets. Neither of my moms had bedrest and only 1 out of the 4 babies had NICU time and all were born at more than 4.5 pounds. I quiz them extensively, way beyond my clinical needs. The families don't seem to mind it given our similar situation, which I divulge instantly. Most of the sets were born via c-section. Some are breastfeeding, some are not.
Interestingly, the parents of the twins in the practice present themselves as more capable than a lot of the singleton parents I've cared for. I don't think I'm projecting my desire to be confident when our babies arrive...I thought about that possibility. They just seem more prepared. They seem battle-ready and really confident. One of my sets only had extra help and hubby home for a week and was like, "I was ready to do this on my own within 4 days!". I was like...ummm...I've never even heard a singleton mom say that. I think our practice needs a twins club. I saw one of the sets of twins born last summer recently for a sick visit, and quizzed mom about her stroller choice. She said that they had a 50 pound twin stroller that wouldn't even fit into their new minivan. She couldn't even lift it anyway. They returned it. I don't remember which one it was...but I'm feeeling glad that I don't have my heart set on one of the 40+ pound strollers. They traded the monster for a svelte 29 pound model.

I try to read about childbirth, but it makes me crazy and nervous. I'm not going to be able to take any classes...I've been to some as a clinician, and have attended several births, so I think I might be alright. I think that the books would be sufficient if I could get through them without panicking. With twins, if the baby closest to the exit is head down, you can try for a vaginal delivery, but run the risk of having a c-section anyway if the other baby isn't head down or has trouble of some kind. That could mean one baby vaginally, then the other c-sec. I'm not opposed to this yet, but might be at the time. We shall see. I had a dream early in my pregnancy that I was in the delivery room and the nurse yelled out "they're vertex/vertex!!!", and hope it was a premonition. ("vertex" sort of means "head down").

Ultrasound Thursday. Also 24 weeks Thursday..."viability" day...wow.

Dear babies, please stay in for 13 more weeks!


3 comments:

  1. 24 weeks, has a nice ring to it. :)

    I'm leaning toward c-section myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great boss! So happy to learn things are coming along nicely for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog gives me hope, my husband and I are in almost the same boat as you and surprisingly enough live in North Florida also. I only have a few more tries before my OBGYN is going to refer us off to an RE. I just hope we are as blessed as you were.

    ReplyDelete